Thursday, January 21, 2010

Haiti on my heart

Between awake and asleep something crossed my mind the other night! I haven't been able to stop thinking about the people of Haiti and what each day must be like for them during this time. I can only imagine! But one thing that I keep coming back to is the fact that they have to rely on each other in a way they did not before. They are coming together to look for loved ones, shelter, food, and whatever they need to survive another day! I'm sure they are experiencing community like never before! Not to say that they didn't before, but in a time of crisis, I believe that people put their selfish agendas aside and really pull together! It really is a beautiful thing. What kind of bothers me is that this only tends to happen in the face of tragedy. Why not before then? Why wait for tragedy to rally together and have real COMMUNITY. You see that's supposed to happen at church. This is the central point where people are to come together during the week and celebrate community. As a body of believers, I began to think about how many people that attend our church are actually in the surrounding blocks. Not very many! Actually only about 3 or 4. Now I consider those that aren't in the surrounding blocks community as well, but why don't we have more involvement from those who are actually our community? It is time for an outreach! There has to be something we can do to reach those on our own doorstep! Everyone needs people in their life that love them, and are there for the duration, regardless of the circumstances. Are people open to this kind of fellowship? Are they open to God? Or does tragedy have to strike for a community to pull together?

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! If we truly are followers of Jesus then we would live the book of Acts all over again... everyday, all the days of our lives....
    Thanks for sharing your heart. Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete